Archive

Posts Tagged ‘analyte’

A Validation Week

Sometimes I think that having a holiday is what you need to guilt you back into working. Last weekend I went home (together with 3 friends from Ireland) for an extended weekend. I really enjoyed showing them the sights of Malta, and also meeting my sister who came over too. However once I got back into the lab I knew that I needed to get down to business. Since the Mass Spec is still not working (still waiting for the parts to arrive), I decided to make use of the HPLC part of the LC-MS instrument. Usually you are not allowed to make use of this front end portion of the instrument on its own. However since the MS part was not working I got permission to use it. Therefore this gave me time to work on my method’s transferability to the actual instrument I will be (hopefully) using.

Before my trip I had ascertained that the method transfers quite well, and I was pleased with the preliminary results. However I knew that as with any method this needs to be validated. Therefore on my return I started working on this section of the process. I have now finished the validation of the HPLC method and I am quite pleased with the overall results. I did have to remove an analyte from the 11 I had started with, since it did not validate in any test. But I am not too concerned about that. After all that is why I started with 11. My supervisors had initially told me not to go for more than 5 analytes, but I had argued that it is better to start with more, and then eliminate later on, depending on the results.

I certainly hope that the parts arrive soon, and that the instrument is fixed very soon. In the meantime, I have figured out what I could do to ‘fill the time’. The parts have been said to be delivered either yesterday (so no) or early next week. I desperately hope that these parts are the actual ones required and that once it is fixed it keeps working. Another girl who is finishing her PhD will probably get onto the instrument first. But as long as it is working there is hope.

Advertisements

Lab Meeting

On Thursday I managed to squeeze in a lab meeting with two of my supervisors on Thursday between the two lab demonstration sessions. Rather than a lab meeting where all of us are present, it was an individual meeting where only myself, the two supervisors (the other is away sick) and the lab post-doc was present. I had not had such a lab meeting in more than a month, so it is good to give a presentation on progress.

First up for discussion was the literature review. One of the supervisors had seen it and all that I had done was work on the changes she suggested. However the other knew that I was working on it, but not on the progress. The changes are by no means completely done, but hopefully I can polish it up somewhat in the coming weeks. I am pleased that there were not many changes suggested by my supervisor, though there are a couple of areas I feel I need to improve.

I then discussed my method development. I have now nearly determined the method for the first few analytes. On Thursday, after the meeting I also received the next few analytes, so what I am doing today is trying to include them in the same method, to reduce sample preparation and analysis time. It was good to present some actual findings in the meeting, and got some good suggestions from one of my supervisors, who is a chemist and knows a whole lot about everything.

As with all of my meetings, it was a short and sweet meeting. I hope I manage to have some good results for the next meeting, whenever that will be. Hopefully I will have nearly finalized my HPLC method, so I can go on to SPE and LC-MS method development. I have some analysis currently running, so hopefully by the end of the weekend I will know a bit better about how much more work is needed. Wish me luck 🙂